Cauliflower, celeriac & almond soup
This subtly nutty soup is a great starter or light lunch. Serves 4
What You Need:
- 70g flaked almonds
- 250ml water
- 1 cauliflower
- Oil for roasting
- Salt and pepper
- 1 brown onion
- Half a celeriac
- 1l vegetable stock
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp tahini (optional)
What You Do:
- Preheat your oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan-assisted/gas mark 7. Put the almonds into a cup and pour over the 250ml water. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into small florets. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Scatter into a roasting dish or baking tray and roast until golden.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice the onion. Peel the celeriac and chop into chunky cubes. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan and add the onions and celeriac. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions begin to soften. Stir every now and then so they don’t burn on the bottom. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Add the vegetable stock, fresh thyme sprigs and almonds in water. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat then allow to simmer. Once the cauliflower is golden brown, remove from the oven and add to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Blitz until smooth. Add the tahini (if using) and season generously to your liking. Serve the soup with toasted cumin seeds, crumbly blue cheese and croutons to give the soup some texture and pops of flavour.
View listing page for We Make Magazines
Feature in This Months Section: