Serves 4/6 as a light lunch or teatime treat!
What You Need:
- 1x pack of white crab meat OR 50/50 Mixed crab meat
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 80ml double cream
- 80ml cider
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp Devon Chilli Jam (if using white crab meat only)
- Splash of Worcester sauce & a few drops of Tabasco
- 100g strong grated cheddar cheese
- 4/6 slices of Rye bread
What You Do:
- In a saucepan, melt the butter on a low heat. Add the flour to a paste and cook for a few minutes and stir.
- Slowly add the cider, increase the heat and keep stirring. Next add the cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce & Tabasco. Once fully mixed, add most of the cheese, saving some to sprinkle on the top. Once the mixture is of a thick consistency, take off the heat and mix in the crab meat (you can save some to put on top of the Rarebits if you wish)
- Lightly toast the rye bread. Spread a generous layer of the Devon Chilli Jam on to the bread, then add the Rarebit Mix, sprinkle the remaining grated cheese on the top.
- If you are using our 50/50 mixed brown/white crab, instead of using chilli jam, spread a layer of brown crab meat on the lightly toasted bread and add a large spoon of brown meat to the cheesy sauce.
- Pop under a hot grill until it is bubbling and the cheese is nicely coloured on top.
- You can serve with a spoon of white crab on top and a rocket salad on the side
View listing page for Crab Shed Salcombe