Thai Crab Cakes
What You Need:
- 310g Crab Shed white crab meat
- 380g Crab Shed brown crab meat
- 100g Breadcrumbs
- 2 Large eggs
- 25g Plain flour
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 red chillies, deseeded
- 6 spring onions
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Large bunch coriander
- 1 lime
- 80g Watercress
- 16 Asparagus
- Drizzle sesame oil
- 75ml Vegetable oil
- ½ mango
- ¼ red onion
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 5cm cucumber
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ avocado
- Large handful spinach
- 1 Lemon zest and juice
- Dill to serve
What You Do:
- For the mango salsa finely chop the mango, red onion, cherry tomatoes and cucumber, add to a small bowl with 1 tbsp fish sauce and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, mix and set aside to infuse.
- Finely slice the ginger and chili, add to a small blender to make a paste, a pestle and mortar works well if you don’t have one!
- Weigh out your crab and put in a large mixing bowl, add in the paste, finely chopped spring onions, large bunch of roughly chopped coriander, 1 egg, 50g of the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper and combine well. Make into 8 equal patties and place on a tray to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- For the spinach puree, add to a blender, ½avocado, handful spinach, zest and juice of 1 lemon, drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper (You may need to add a little water to loosen).
- Beat the remaining egg in a bowl with 1 tbsp water. Add the plain flour to a plate. Add the remaining 50g breadcrumbs mixed with ¼ tsp cayenne pepper to a separate plate.
- Dredge the crab patties in the flour, egg then breadcrumbs (shake off any excess and set aside until all patties are coated.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus and discard, fry in sesame oil on a high heat until charred. Cut the lime into 4 wedges.
- Whilst the asparagus is cooking add the vegetable oil to a large frying pan on a high heat, add the crab patties when hot and fry for 3-4 mins until golden on each side.
- Serve up 2 crab cakes per person with 4 asparagus each, 2 tbsp of mango salsa, 1 tbsp spinach puree, handful of watercress, lime wedge and dill.
View listing page for Crab Shed Salcombe