Fried Green Tomatoes by Eversfield Organic
Sweet, jammy tomato in a crispy fried shell... Need we say more? Homemade fried green tomatoes are an absolute treat and super simple to make. Dunked into a spicy salsa or fresh sour cream & chive dip, these are the perfect nibbles to kick off your Southern BBQ feast!
- 4 Sweet Marmande Tomatoes
- 1 Egg
- 150g Plain White Flour
- 125ml Whole Milk/Buttermilk
- 100g Breadcrumbs/Cornmeal/Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Salt
- Sunflower or Vegetable Oil for frying
- Half the flour into 2 separate bowls. In one of the bowls, mix in the salt and breadcrumbs. In another bowl whisk your egg.
- Slice the tomatoes roughly 2cm thick. First, dunk the slices in the plain flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumb mix.
- Lay 2 paper towels on a plate and set aside.
- In a not non-stick (non-non stick?) frying pan, pour the oil so it’s roughly 4cm deep and turn on a high heat. It’s important to keep it hot to keep your tomatoes from absorbing it. When the oil moves like water when you tilt the pan, it’s hot enough. Carefully place the tomatoes in the pan and cook for 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- When cooked, lay on paper towel lined plate (keeping tomatoes in a single layer so they don’t get soggy) and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Serve hot with sour cream & chive dip or sticky chilli sauce.
View listing page for Eversfield Organic