Slow Honey-Roast Pork Belly and Winter Vegetables
Exeter Golf and Country Club and Wear Park Restaurant, Head Chef, Adam Little appears in the new Devon Cook Book which is now available to buy.
Here is one of his favourite autumn recipes - Serves 4
What You Need:
- 1.2 kg pork belly
- 4 onions
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- Sea salt
- 3 tbsp honey
- 200 ml cider
- 500 g potatoes (Maris Piper)
- 4 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 60 ml single cream
- 100 g butter
- Sea salt
- 4 carrots
- 2 red onions
- 4 parsnips
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Sea salt
What You Do:
To cook the pork
- Score the pork skin and place skin side up in a roasting tray, slice the onions and place around the pork.
- Crush the peppercorns rub them with the sea salt into the skin.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour at 160c.
- Baste the pork after 1 hour, add water to the tray if it seems dry and then cook for another 1 and 1/2 hours, basting every 15 minutes.
- Pour the honey over the pork and turn the oven to 190c for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the tray and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Cut the pork into four portions.
- Place the tray on a low heat and add the cider, stirring to collect all the residue, pass through a fine sieve and pour over the pork.
To cook the potatoes
- Peel and quarter the potatoes, place into a pan cover with water and bring to the boil
- When cooked, drain and steam dry, don’t let them go cold.
- Place back into the pan and shake well, add the cream and butter a little at a time while mashing.
- Stir in the mustard and season with sea salt.
To cook the vegetables
- Peel the carrots, parsnips and red onions.
- Cut the parsnips and carrots into large chunks, and quarter the red onions.
- Place the carrots into a sauce pan and bring to the boil cook until tender, repeat with the parsnips.
- Drain the carrots and parsnips well, making sure all they are dry.
- Place in a roasting tray a little oil, garlic and thyme. Season with sea salt.
- Roast for 40 minutes at 180c
View listing page for Exeter Golf and Country Club