Mai Queen by Salcombe Gin
Created by Monica Galetti and her team at Mere, 'Mai Queen' is a contemporary twist on a classic Mai Tai cocktail.
- 35ml Voyager Series 'Island Queen'
- 25ml 'Mere' spiced pineapple syrup
- 25ml fresh pineapple juice
- 15ml lime juice
- 25ml chickpea aquafaba
- 1 dash chickpea aquafaba
- 1 dash Absinthe
- 4 drops Bittermens Elemakule Tiki Bitters
- Dehydrated pineapple crisp
- Chill a coupe glass with ice and place to one side.
- Fill a Boston shaker with ice, add the ‘Island Queen’ gin, spiced pineapple syrup, fresh pineapple juice, lime juice, chickpea aquafaba and absinthe and shake vigourously for 10 seconds.
- Discard the ice from the coupe glass and long pour the mixture through a double strainer into the glass.
Place 4 drops of bitters onto the mixture and run a cocktail stick through the drops to create a semi-circle. Garnish with a dehydrated pineapple crisp on the side of the glass.
*To make the ‘Mere’ spiced pineapple syrup
- 1 Pineapple (peeled and cubed)
- 2 red chillis (sliced in half length ways)
- 500g sugar
- 500ml water
- To a saucepan, add the pineapple, chillis, sugar and water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until thickened (approx 15 mins).
- Pour the mixture into a blender and blitz, then strain into a bottle or container and leave to cool.
(makes 1 litre)
**For the chickpea aquafaba
Simply drain the water from a can of chickpeas and keep the liquid chilled in the fridge.
View listing page for Salcombe Distilling Company