Coffee & almond shortbread with salted caramel butter icing
Recipe by Jody Spencer, courtesy of Taste Buds magazine. For more recipes using Devon produce visit tastebudsmagazine.co.uk/recipes
What You Need:
For the salted caramel
- 200g muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the shortbread
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- 2 tsp finely ground coffee
- 125g ground almonds
- 85g plain flour
For the butter icing
- 125g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- Popcorn for garnish (optional)
What You Do:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan-assisted/gas mark 4. Make the salted caramel first. Put everything into a saucepan and gently heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat, letting the mixture come to a rolling boil for a couple of minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for a further couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- To make the shortbread, beat the butter, icing sugar and coffee until pale and fluffy. Fold through the ground almonds and flour. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large fluted nozzle and pip about 30 biscuits, 6cm long, on a lined baking tray. Leave a couple of centimetres between each one. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the biscuits are lightly golden. Leave on the tray for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the buttercream icing, beat the butter with half of the icing sugar until combined. Add the remaining icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add half of the cooled salted caramel sauce. Transfer the icing into a piping bag with a fluted nozzle.
- Pipe a line of icing on half the biscuits then sandwich with the remaining biscuits. Pipe a small amount of icing on top of the biscuits and top with popcorn. Drizzle with a little more salted caramel sauce.
View listing page for We Make Magazines Ltd